Apply to be an SLE
Who can apply
You need to have leadership experience other than headteacher for at least 2 years in any type or phase of school.
Your current role does not need to be in an outstanding school or part of a teaching school alliance.
Your school will need to have the capacity to release you to work in other schools, and your Headteacher will need to support this. There is no set number of days that you will need to be released, again this is something that will be negotiated between yourself, your Headteacher and the school you need to support.
If successful the role will be given to you for 4 years, then a review will take place.
You must have at least 1 specialist area
Academies; leadership of continuing professional development; school business management and financial management; leadership of curriculum; art; closing the gap; drama; design and technology; early years; English; geography; history; information and communication technology; maths; modern foreign languages; music; phonics; physical education; personal, social and health education; religious education; science; special educational needs; support for the most able pupils; initial teacher training; assessment; behaviour and discipline; attendance
To be successful in your application, you should have evidence of:
- a successful track record of working effectively within your own school and/or across a group of schools, or working with a range of leaders within a single school
- evidence of successfully using coaching and/or facilitation skills to bring about sustainable improvements
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- a good understanding of what constitutes ‘outstanding’ in your field of expertise and the ability and confidence to communicate this
- a good understanding of how your specialism and skills can contribute to wider school improvement goals
- an analytical approach in identifying and prioritising needs
- the ability to set and establish new and innovative working practices
- the ability to grow leadership capacity in others
You can also provide supporting evidence gained from completing leadership development opportunities such as:
There is no limit on the number of times you can apply. There is no cost to apply. You can apply to multiple teaching schools, but can only accept designation from one.
Apply to be a Green Light SLE here
Or contact: Lucy Sykes – SLE Lead / 01484 868 777
For more information on applying to be an SLE: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/specialist-leaders-of-education-a-guide-for-potential-applicants